COMPSTON SAMUEL number 1235
Born Gargrave Yorks 11 March 1803 [GARGRAVE, a parish-town, in the east-division of Staincliffe, liberty of Clifford's-Fee; (Gargrave House, the seat of John Nicholas Coulthurst, Esq.) 4½ miles NW. of Skipton, 8 from Gisburn, 11½ from Settle, 12 from Colne, (Lanc.) 14 from Kettlewell, 45 from York. No Market. Fairs, Feb. 27, third Wednesday in June, October 13, and December 11, for horned cattle, Pop. 972. The Church is a vicarage, dedicated to St. Andrew in the deanry of Craven, value, £12. 13s. 11½d. Patron, John Marsden, Esq. ]
Elton Nr Bury Lancs 1837-38 (Now = Castleford)
Radcliffe Lancs 1838-40
City Missionary Bradford Yorks 1850-55
Settle Yorks 1855-67
Died 1 July 1870. Death Certificate 4 Irwell Street Stand Lane Pilkington cause of death Hemigplegia for 14 months. Son John at Huddersfield 1881 census Minister.
[Deaths Sep 1870 Compston Samuel 64 Bury 8c 337]
[NOTE PILKINGTON, a township in Prestwich parish, and a sub-district in Bury district, Lancashire. The town-ship lies adjacent to the river Irwell and the East Lancashire railway, 5¼ miles N N W of Manchester; is cut into the three sections of Outwood, Unsworth, and Whitefieldor Stand; contains the hamlets of Ringley, Cinderhill, Blackford, and Hollins; is supplied with water from the Bury waterworks, and with gas from the Radcliffe and Pilkington gas-works; has a post-office of Whitefield, under Manchester; carries on industry in coal mines, several large cotton factories, bleach-works, and dye-works; and contains the churches of Ringley, Unsworth, and Stand, seven
dissenting chapels, two endowed grammar schools, and two national schools. Pop. in 1851, 12,863; in 1861, 12,303. Houses, 2,506. The manor belongs to the Earl of Derby. Outwood Park and Outwood Lodge are chief residences.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) ]