About the Victoria Government Gazette
Before Victoria separated from New South Wales in 1851 government notices, regulations, forms and orders relating to the Port Phillip District were published initially in the New South Wales Government Gazette, then the Port Phillip Government Notices, and later in the Port Phillip Government Gazette (from 1843).
The first issue of the Victoria Government Gazette was published on 9 July 1851. Early issues were published once a week until 1854, when two issues a week were produced. By the 20th century the frequency was almost daily, increasing to as many as nine or ten issues in a day.
The Victoria Government Gazette is the government's method of notifying the general public of its decisions and activities. It includes a wide range of information from land transactions, insolvency notices, impoundments and patent applications, to shipping and emigration notices, licences, contracts, proclamation of acts, government appointments, and more.
Gazette entries may be anything from a brief notification of a road closure or the address of a registered company to a detailed description of wages to be paid in various industries such as breadmaking, or a 200-page list of everyone who is registered to practice medicine in the Victoria.