Cumpston Research

Pelo [Ursula Jones] nee Cumpston wrote to say her father was Charles Graham Cumpston (1897-1968), only son of George Robinson Cumpston. When she was a child she and her three sisters spent the war years at Barton Hall. When her father died her mother left their London house to live permanently at Barton Hall until her death in 1984. She also has an Australian Cumpston cousin.

CUL 1/2/3/

Ellis Island Record of Passenger entering America
Cumpston, Anne Martha (Carter) wife of Thomas Bowser Cumpston 1 ( son of John Elizabeth Mary Graham) from Leeds, England.
2 Sep 1911 aged 50 years. Female, married, sailed on the Lusitania from Liverpool, UK

CUL 1/2/4/

Edward Thompson CUMPSTON b 1814 fourth child of John and Elizabeth Graham, Chairmaker of Carlisle. Brother of Joseph Hodgson Cumpston.
"Carlisle Patriot Newpaper Aug 5th 1831 A YOUNG MAN DROWNED. An accident, which terminated fatally, occurred to a young man named Edward Thomas Cumpston of this town, whilst bathing in the river Eden. Praising the resuce attempts, we particularly allude to the conduct of Mr Thomas Rome, who plunged into the river with a great part of his clothes on, and at a period when the life of the unfortunate youth may have been saved, but Mr Rome could not dive, and his exertions were to no avail."

CUMBERLAND AND WESTMORLAND HERALD '100 YEARS ago' 1908 POOLEY BRIDGE Issue 11th April. The death has occurred at the age of 91 of Mr. Joseph Hodgson Cumpston, of Barton Hall, Pooley Bridge [ex. Carlisle]. Mr. Cumpston moved to Leeming on the shores of Ullswater in 1854 and in 1863 purchased and enlarged Barton Hall, where he had since lived. He took an active interest in parish affairs and was one of those responsible 30 years ago for the erection of the church at Pooley Bridge. With other local gentlemen he also helped in having the telegraph service extended to the village. He died on 5 April and had 2 sons and 2 daughters. He added the west half of the house, and put the two daughters by then adult and tiresome and unmarried in it. At first floor is a door, openable only from his half!

CUL 1/2/5/2/
Plaque in Barton Church reads
"In loving memory of Mary Elizabeth Cumpston daughter of Joseph Hodgson Cumpston who entered into rest August 13th 1917 erected by her sister and brother".

CUMBERLAND AND WESTMORLAND HERALD 1998. 100 YEARS AGO (1898) POOLEY BRIDGE
Two amateur plays were given by the Misses Cumpston, Barton Hall, with friends, in aid of Barton Church funds. The Watermillock string band supplied music.

CUMBERLAND AND WESTMORLAND HERALD 2003

100 YEARS (1903) BARTON
The venerable church of St. Michael, Barton, was re-opened after renovation, when an address was given by the Bishop of Carlisle. The cost was heavy about £1,700, of which £1,400 had been raised by subscription. A new pulpit of excellent workmanship, carved by the Misses Cumpston, Barton Hall, was the gift of their father, J. H. Cumpston, Esq.

From THE TIMES, Wednesday, Feb 05, 1896 MARRIAGE.
CUMPSTON : BEHR.-On the 3rd Feb., at St. Paul's Church, Finchley, by the REV. S. B. MAYALL, Vicar, assisted by the REV. F. S. REYSELL, GEORGE R. CUMPSTON, eldest son of J. H. CUMPSTON, Esq., of Barton Hall, Penrith, to MARIE, eldest daughter of C. L. BEHR, Esq., of Sunnymead, Woodside-park, N.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player