Cumpston, John, 18 Dec 1897, aged 37, Deputy, Killed by a fall of stone while drawing timber at Page Bank. [Also known as South Brancepeth Colliery.]
Name * District in which Examined or Mine (Inspector) No. & Class of Certificate Date of Certificate
Cumpston, J. Newcastle 561 2nd 02 Mar 1889
Second Class Certificate of Competency as an Under Manager of Mines granted under the Coal Mines Regulation Act, 1887 (50 & 51 Vict. Cap. 58, Sec 23.) From a list published in 1896 covering the period 1888 to 1895
Pagebank Colliery was first sunk in 1851 by a West Hartlepool company. It is now the property of Bell Bros., Ltd. Here the "Busty," 5 ft., is found at a depth of 22 fathoms, worked by two shafts; and the "Brockwell," 3 ft., at a depth of 45 fathoms, also by two shafts. This colliery makes a daily output of 850 tons, 600 of which are converted into coke on the spot, there being 312 ovens. The men and boys employed number 700.
The village of Pagebank is also entirely a colliery village, in this township [Stockley], occupying rather an isolated position on the north bank of the Wear, two miles east of Willington and five west of Durham.
The Pagebank British School was built by the owners of the colliery in 1872 or 1873, and is a good brick building, having accommodation in mixed and infant departments for 400, the average attendance being 260.
The Miners' Institute and Library at Pagebank is a comfortable building, given by the proprietors, consisting of reading, billiard room, and library. There are over 1000 vols. In the library, and the reading room is most liberally supplied.
Whellan's 1894 Directory of County Durham
DURHAM MINING MUSEUM