John Cumpston of Auburn, NY by T. L. Warren
Generation No. 1
1. EDWARD1 CUMPSTON was born 1753, and died 22 Aug 1825 in Auburn, Cayuga, NY. He married MARY VAN SCHAICK1.
More About EDWARD CUMPSTON:
Burial: North Street Cemetery, Auburn, NY
Military service: 1776, 1st Albany Co. Mil. Private
Children of EDWARD CUMPSTON and MARY VAN SCHAICK are:
2. i. JOHN HENRY2 CUMPSTON, b. 1779, NJ; d. 02 Jun 1815, Auburn, Cayuga, NY.
3. ii. SAMUEL CUMPSTON, b. 18 Aug 1784, Albany, Albany, NY; d. 03 Apr 1850, Corning, Steuben, NY.
iii. A. CUMPSTON, m. LYON.
Notes for A. CUMPSTON:
Wrote letter to John Cumpston in Auburn from her home at Mount Morris, NY Jun of 1850. Letter found in the Cayuga Co. Hist. Office family files. Signed as "your affectionate Aunt, A. G.Lyon"
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN HENRY2 CUMPSTON (EDWARD1) was born 1779 in NJ, and died 02 Jun 1815 in Auburn, Cayuga, NY2. He married SARAH GRANDIN, daughter of WILLIAM GRANDIN and ANNE LEWIS. She was born 25 Oct 1784 in Freehold, Monmouth, NJ3, and died 30 Aug 1817 in Monmouth, NJ4.
More About JOHN HENRY CUMPSTON:
Military service: War of 1812, Art. Co. 7th Regt. 3rd Bri. Captain
Notes for SARAH GRANDIN: Died while visiting her parents in Monmouth, NJ
Children of JOHN CUMPSTON and SARAH GRANDIN are:
4. i. EDWARD HENRY3 CUMPSTON, b. 01 May 1813, Auburn, Cayuga, NY.
ii. ELIZABETH GRANDIN CUMPSTON, b. 03 Sep 1815, Auburn, Cayuga, NY; d. 05 Oct 1838; m. ALEXANDER WOLCOTT HACKLEY.
Notes for ELIZABETH GRANDIN CUMPSTON: Hackaliah Burt was appointed her Guardian at the death of her father in 1815
3. SAMUEL2 CUMPSTON (EDWARD1) was born 18 Aug 1784 in Albany, Albany, NY, and died 03 Apr 1850 in Corning, Steuben, NY4. He married MARY ANN WARNER, daughter of WARNER and ELIZA. She died 04 Jun 1851 in Auburn, Cayuga, NY4. More About SAMUEL CUMPSTON: Property: Owned extensive holdings in Mentz, Brutus, WIlson Farm in Brutus, and "several dwelling houses in Auburn".
Notes for MARY ANN WARNER: Obit states "funeral tomorrow at her late residence on South St."
Children of SAMUEL CUMPSTON and MARY WARNER are:
i. JOHN3 CUMPSTON, b. 1823.
ii. SAMUEL CUMPSTON, b. 1833.
iii. EGBERT CUMPSTON.
Generation No. 3
4. EDWARD HENRY3 CUMPSTON (JOHN HENRY2, EDWARD1) was born 01 May 1813 in Auburn, Cayuga, NY5. He married (1) CAROLINE SKINNER 09 Oct 1837.
He married (2) MARY MITCHELL JAMES 27 Jun 1844 in Auburn, NY. She was born 02 May 1824.
Notes for EDWARD HENRY CUMPSTON:
Samuel Cumpston was appointed Guardian for Edward after the death of his father in 1815
Child of EDWARD CUMPSTON and MARY JAMES is:
i. EDWARD HENRY4 CUMPSTON, b. 15 Oct 1848, Auburn, Cayuga, NY.
1. IGI FamilySearch.org.
4. Cayuga County Historian's Office..
This family tree can be found at
The home page gives access to properties in Auburn and John CUMPSTON is shown at 4/20/1804
099 South/3 Fitch
John L. Hardenburgh - John Cumpston
Unfortunately whilst the site has excellent references for houses it gives no reference for the owner of this tree, other than TL Warren, so please contact me if your recognise these people