Minute book of Grayrigg (Men's) Preparative Meeting - starting with copy of recommendations sent by James Fell from the Quarterly Meeting in Kendal 1702 for coping with any tendencies towards "fullness, heveness and slepyness" of Friends at meeting. WDFCF 1/8 1702-1828
These documents are held at Cumbria Record Office, Kendal
- Note of books belonging to Grayrigg Meeting
- Note of order from Meeting for Sufferings held at Kendal, 17th. 9mo. 1709
- Recommendations from Yearly Meeting in London, 2nd 4mo. 1710 to Quarterly Meeting at Kendal for dealing with poor, etc.
- Testimony against tithes made by Christopher Dixon, 24th. 4mo. 1709
- "Paper of uses" following upon will of Edward Wilson of Thackmoorhead, Lambrigg made 28th. 4mo. 1709 appointing James Wilson of Abbey, Lambrigg and Joseph Atkinson of Crakehall, New Hutton, joint executors and setting aside £40 "towards ye propagating of a School within Grayrigg Meeting for ye Educating of poor Frds. Children ..." Witnesses: James Thompson, Thos. Wharton Willson
- "Paper of uses" following upon will of Martin Simson, 15th. 8mo. 1709, giving legacies of 50s. to John Blaimer of Simgill, Grayrigg and 50s. to Gervis Dixon of Th[u]rsgill, [ ] to be paid to Grayrigg Meeting so that interest be converted "towards ye upholding of a School within ye Meett. for ye Education of Children".
Witness: Joseph Atkinson
- Further "paper" of Edward Wilson that at request of late wife Margrett, deceased, £2 be paid to Grayrigg Women's Meeting. Witness: Joseph Atkinson
- "Paper of uses" following upon will of John Dickinson of Beckhouses, Grayrigg, made 17th. 1mo. 1712/13, appointing James Wilson of Abbey and Joseph
Atkinson of New, Hutton, joint executors and requesting they secure £40 for standing stock for school in Grayrigg Meeting chiefly for poor Friends' children and £40 for standing stock for assistance of travelling Friends "who are Labourers in ye Gospell and approved by ye Meett. from whence they came ..." - half of yearly interest to be for "ye accommodating such Frds.... with Meat, Drink and Lodging att ye House of my now Tenant Christopher Dixon" if this seems proper, and half for accommodating such Friends' horses; £3 annuity given to Alice Wilson for life be paid to Thomas Wilson of Little Docker if he outlives his sister and also 40s. be paid to Thos. one year after testator's death, also to his 2 nieces Jane and Margrett Wilson of Little Docker 20s. each, to Thomas Robinson of Soulby £15, to John Close of Grisedale Meeting £4, to Mary Dover of Longdale £4, to children of James Wilson of Abbey 40s. each, to children of Joseph Atkinson of Crakehall 20s. each, to Robert Atkinson of Mosside, Cumberland 20s., to friends Brian Lancaster, Willm. Wilson and Jno. Blaimer, 20s. each if it happens that Christopher Dixon refuses estate at Beckhouses
- Certificate, 21st. 5mo. 1718 of Thomas Moor of Sunnibanke, Grayrigg ordering Isaac Simson of Castlebanke, Grayrigg, executor of will to pay £20 to James Wilson and Jno. Blamer of Grayrigg - half interest for maintenance of schoolmaster at Beckhouses, Lambrigg and half for use of poor. Witness: Edward Tarne
- Request of Mary Moser, 21st. 9mo. 1714, that James Wilson of The Abbey (given £2 in will of same date) should give £1 to Grayrigg Women/s Meeting and £1 to repairing of Friends' burial ground at Sunibanke, Grayrigg. Witness: Jno. Blaimer
- Memorandum, 24 October 1752, of Thomas Ayrey that he gives £10 to Thos. Farrer of Beck houses and Joseph Atkinson of Crack Hall to be kept as standing stock for use of poor
- Note, 28th. 2mo. 1779, of £10 given by Mary Alison to Thos. Farrer and Thos. Blamire for use of Grayrigg Meeting [all at front of volume]
- Testimonies against tithes made, 9th. 11mo. 1760, by John Tickonson, Winton and Ed. Wilson
- "A Record of Several Advices to Friends"
- To Kendal Quarterly Meeting from Yearly Meeting in London, 2nd. 4mo. 1710
- Advice of Kendal Quarterly Meeting, 1st. 11mo. 1713, that following ill accounts of young women employed in the silk and worsted business, none to take up that business without consent of their preparative meeting
- Advice of Kendal Quarterly Meeting, 7th. 11mo. 1714, about marriage
- Advice of Yearly Meeting in London 14th. 4mo. 1717 about mourning
- Advice of Kendal Quarterly Meeting, 2nd 2mo. 1707 about attending burials without delay
- Advice of Kendal Monthly Meeting, 2nd 9mo. 1722 appointing John Thompson, James Wilson, William Williamson, Daniel Stevenson, John Wilson, Thomas Braithwaite, William Wilson, Robert Chambers, John Warriner, Joseph Atkinson and John Skiring advisers in matters of law-suits
- List of books belonging to Friends of this meeting. Undated
- Brief account of poor money 1787-1788
- Note of appointment of Thos. Farrer to take care of school money 2nd. 3mo. 1788
- Note of appointment of John Farrer as cash keeper for school 18th. 12mo. 1796 and brief accounts 1797-1799. [all at end of volume].
[Note: the back cover of the minute book bears the inscription "To Tho. White Mercht. at Bridlington Key, Yorkshire."]