Herefordshire Record Office holds the records of the Whitehouse Estate, Vowchurch.
F37/60 9 December 1764
Copy of the will of George Pardoe of Cleeton, Bitterley, co. Salop.
By settlement made on his marriage with his wife Mary £800 are to be raised for the benefit of his younger children from messuages and lands in Stotesdon called Ingwardine and High Fields, now conveyed to his son George Pardoe.
A competent provision has been made for the younger children, so the £800 is not to be raised, but if any children demand the same and refuse to execute a release to George Pardoe, son, then be bequeaths to George £800 to be paid out of real or personal estate.
He is entitled to coalworks and other minerals on the Clee Hill in the manors of Suitton and Cainham by lease from the Earl of Powis and Edward Knight determinable on Pardoe's death with covenants for his representatives to work out the same. He now directs that his son shall enjoy them.
To his daughter Ann, £500 to his daughter Elizabeth £500.
To his daughter Susannah, £500, to his daughter Hester, £500, to his daughter Sarah, £500.
£100 To his granddaughter Mary Pritchett and £100 to his grandson James Compson. He leaves all messuages, on tenement lands etc., all ready money, all livestock, crops etc., and all real and personal estate, after payment of debts, to his wife, Mary and George and Thomas Pardoe of Faintry, Salop. From the sale of his real estate (except the household goods and furniture, stock and crop), the money should be divided into 7 equal parts and be distributed amongst Ann, Elizabeth, Susannah, Hester and Sarah, and his daughter Pritchett and the children of his son-in-law Thomas Compson. His household furniture, stock and crop should go to his wife Mary and after her death the household furniture should be equally divided amongst Ann, Elizabeth, Susannah, Hester and Sarah and the money from sale of stock and crop should be divided amongst all his children and the children of Thomas Compson. He further directs that the £100 left to James Compson and the seventh share of money arising from the surplus of his Real and Personal Estate Stock and Crop left to the children of Thomas Compson, shall be put in the name of George Pardoe and Thomas Pardoe and be paid and applied towards their maintenance and education and the remainder shall be paid to them when they are 21. He leaves a gold ring each to Thomas Pardoe, Bartholomew Lutley and Rev. Thomas Roche.
Joint Executors and Trustees - his wife Mary, son George and Thomas Pardoe.
International Genealogical Index / British Isles
Gender: Female Christening: 06 NOV 1665 Ledbury, Hereford, England
Parents: Father: BENJAMYN COMPSON
Batch No.: K008562
Gender: Male Marriage: 02 SEP 1753 Burghill, Hereford,
Spouse: ISABELLA PARDOE
Marriage: 02 SEP 1753 Burghill, Hereford, England
Batch No. M137061
Note - there are no births on the IGI for COMPSON in Herfordshire.
Likely connections are in Shropshire:
Thomas Compson, Shropshire (Salop), England, British Isles
THOS. COMPSON -
Gender: Male Christening: 28 FEB 1702 Whitchurch, Shropshire, England
THOMAS COMPSON -
Gender: Male Christening: OCT 1782 Cleobury Mortimer, Shropshire, England
Parents James & Martha
THOMAS COMPSON -
Gender: Male Christening: 29 NOV 1818 Shifnal, Shropshire, England Parents James & Mary
THOMAS COMPSON -
Gender: Male Christening: 01 JUL 1824 Shifnal, Shropshire, England
Parents James Edward & Elizabeth
THOMAS COMPSON -
Gender: Male Death: 02 DEC 1824
The Whitehouse Estate
Whitehouse is an extensive estate originally well over a thousand acres, comprising the demise Home farm with its land and woods and a series of adjacent tenanted farms, cottages and properties.
The main house is in Turnastone parish on the rising ground west of the Golden Valley with fine views across Vowchurch and the valley. The lands of the estate were in Turnastone, Vowchurch and St. Margarets but also extended into Newton and Bacton. In Newton they were most probably in the Gilvach area. There is a record in the Whitehouse papers of the purchase of the "Jenkin ap Richard" Manor of Newton in 17?? Parts of the estate have been sold off or disposed of over the years. The last major sale of the Estate took place recent years when the main house, 3 let farms and 3 cottages, totalling over 930 acres were sold.
The first recorded owners of Whitehouse were the Parry's, Joanes's, and Vaughan's. From 1566 to 1745 five generations of the Howarth family owned and occupied Whitehouse. The last of the male line was Herbert Howorth who died in 1745. The estate then descended to his three sisters, Magdalen (1701-1763), Isabella (1703- 1775), Elizabeth (1703-1769) and to his fathers sister. All of these had moved out of the area and none of them occupied Whitehouse. His aunt and Magdalen had married, and their families also had an interest. The estate appears to have been poorly managed for a long period with rents not being collected and allowed to get into arrears. The wills of Herbert and his father were either obscure or deliberately hidden, and an extended family dispute arose which lasted for many years. The legal wrangle was only resolved in a major London court case which also went on for a long time, not to be fully sorted out till the 1790's. By this time all the original beneficiaries had died. Perhaps, as so often is the case the lawyers were the only ones to profit by it. Costs are reported to have been £12,000. In an attempt to collect outstanding rents Bartholomew Hasleden, a son of Magdalene and grandson of Herbert visited Whitehouse and reported in a letter to George Pardoe, a nephew of Herbert. This letter has survived and a photocopy from the HRO together with a transcription for easier reading is available (see below). This letter gives a vivid and in retrospect amusing account of a journey made by horseback from Whitehouse to Ewyas Harold and his return through Newton (the Manor of "Jenkin ap Richard" ) The Mr. Price and his wife who received Bartholomew at Whitehouse would be Mr. Nathaniel Price who with his father Thomas were tenants at Whitehouse from 1748 to 1796. Thomas died 31st January 1778 and his wife Sarah died 25th December 1786. Both are buried at St Margarets.
In an appendix to his History of Whitehouse by Arthur Seward Wood, written in 1954, we are told: -
“In 1816 Wm. Wood made a claim as holder of the Manor of Jenkyn ap Richard for a share of the commonable and waste lands situated in the Parishes of Newton and St Margarets, which were about to be enclosed. The claim was based upon the ownership of 364 acres in St Margarets, but no data as to the area of the commonable land is stated. From a reference some 40 years earlier, it appears that the Manor had been much encroached upon by tenants of Lord Abergavenny holding adjoining land. The result of the claim is not recorded, but in later years Lord Abergavenny and Jefferies appear to have been allocated practically the whole of the unenclosed Lands."
In this respect it is to be noted that the Act of Parliament of 1816 refers to Newton and not St.Margarets. The Lord of Abergavenny was Lord of the Lower and Upper Maescoed but not Middle Maescoed, the subject of the post 1816 enclosure. Jefferies was a Brecon Lawyer who came to own the Middle Maescoed Lordship at about the time of its enclosure, perhaps as a speculative venture. The Wood family came into the estate by the marriage of William Wood (1758-1833) to Frances Haseleden a daughter of Herbert Howorth the elder. They held it for four generations.
Please read a full history of the house and estate at http://www.ewyaslacy.org.uk/doc.php?d=gc_gdv_2003
WILL OF GEORGE PARDOE OF CLEETON, BITTERLEY
INCLUDES MENTION OF GRANDSON THOMAS COMPSON
FAMILY TREE SHOWING THOMAS COMPSON AND JAMES COMPSON
HERBERT HOWARTH THE ELDER 1675 - 1728 = MARGARET LUTLEY of Newhall Salop
CHRISTENED 10 JUN 1675 BURGHILL HEREFORD. Married 1695
GEORGE PARDOE = MARY
B. 1696 WILLED £10 from Herbert Howorth died 1745. Sole executor.
GEORGE PARDOE 1/2 PF 2/3 = 1/3 ESTATE
ISABELLA = THOMAS COMPSON
JAMES COMPSON WILLED £100
Christened 7 September 1754 Spitalfields Christ Church Stepney London.
The £100 was put in the name of George and Thomas Pardoe for their maintenance
note: Hopton Wafers is 2.7 m from Cleobury Mortimer and 4 miles from Nash Court the home of George Pardoe.
PLEASE CONTACT ME IF YOU RECOGNISE THESE PEOPLE