FOCHRIW HAS AN EXCELLENT WEBSITE AT
The following mentions CUMPSTONEs
As with many south Wales villages, transport was a problem due to poor roads and Fochriw was no exception, especially since one had to ascend hills in all directions to gain access to it.
The Tithe Map of 1851 shows only tracks, which gradually developed into unmetaled roads, however, with the coming of industry things started to improve.
Apart from private bus companies for private hire, the local single decker bus service was provided by the Gelligaer Urban District Council between Bargoed and Pontlottyn, leaving Bargoed every hour on the hour and returning from Pontlottyn on the same basis. Double decker buses could not be used owing to the low headroom of the railway bridges at Deri and Fochriw.
Buses from Bargoed to Deri ran every half hour and it was often the case that arguments broke out at Bargoed when Deri people took seats on fully loaded "Fochriw" buses thus leaving some Fochriw people to wait an hour for the next bus, when the Deri people had only to wait another half hour.
The first motorised hearse in the Rhymney Valley was owned by Messrs E E Cumpstone and Sons of Fochriw. In 1924, the hearse was taken off a horse-drawn vehicle and mounted onto a Fiat cab and chassis - see photo 1 opposite.
Local traffic was all by horse and cart and every morning the farmer put milk into metal churns, which held about 20 gallons, and loaded them onto a milk float. This was a two- wheeled cart which was built up at the front and both sides, open at the back with steps for easy access. A ladle with a long handle, which held half a pint of milk, was dipped into the milk churn for delivery to the customer's jug. The milkman came around both mornings and evenings during the summer months since, with no fridges, it was difficult to keep the milk cool.
Other purveyors were the baker, who had a four wheeled van full of bread still hot from the oven, the costermonger had another four wheeled cart with all his vegetables laid out upon it.
The fishmonger came twice a week but always on a Friday to take account of the customs of the Roman Catholics. The oilman came once a week and he sold paraffin, oilcloth, mops etc.
The salt man came about once a month since salt was not sold in bottles or small blocks but in bars, each one being 18" long by 8" square on top tapering to 6" square at the bottom. Lesser amounts were cut off these blocks by saw.
During March 1865 the construction of the road from Pontlottyn to Tirphil commenced.
Abstract from the Fochriw website on health: