Cumpston Research

Location: 796 Main Street, Monmouth ME 04259

National Register of Historic Places
Name  Cumston Hall
ID Number 73000130
NRHP Status Listed In The National Register
Certification Date 08/14/1973
Level of Significance Local

Cumston Hall
Designer Cochrane, Harry Hayman
Location Monmouth, Maine, USA
Date 1900
Building Type Recreation And Culture
Construction System Granite, Weatherboard, Asphalt, Brick, Shingle
Architectural Style Romanesque
Street Address Main St.

Monmouth. CUMSTON HALL, Main St. 1899-1900, Harry Hayman Cochrane architect.
Frame, shingling and clapboarding; 2 1/2 stories, modified rectangle, hipped roof, rectangular
projecting central gabled bay, square turreted corner tower, front porch sup- ported by double
columns; 1-story octagon connected to main structure by carriage shelter; original interior
woodwork, domed and vaulted theater. Wooden adaptation of Richardsonian Romanesque.
Early-20th C. multipurpose community building. Municipal: HABS.

The English High School began in 1821. Almost two centuries have passed since it was founded and the school has gone through many changes and has accomplished many goals.
Up until the early 1800's, the education system in Boston consisted of a scattering of grammar schools throughout the town. A child's education usually ended at the age of 10.

The Boston School Committee, which had been established in 1789, sought to provide a means of education for those students who were not going on to Harvard. They wanted a curriculum that provided subjects that would aid its graduates in achieving success in the world of commerce and industry.

The Committee passed a resolution in 1820 that authorized the creation of a public secondary school to educate boys with an emphasis on a strong course of study in the English language. In 1821, English Classical School was opened with an enrollment of 101 boys. The building used was an already existing school at the corner of Derne and Temple St, on Beacon Hill. A plaque to commemorate the nation's first public high school can be seen today at the site of the old building. The school required an examination for admission and it would remain an "exam" school until the late 1920's.

In 1844, The English High School was given a new home on Bedford Street, which it shared with the Boston Latin School. Perhaps this close proximity helped create the intense English-Latin athletic rivalry that exists even to this day.

In 1881, The English High School and the Boston Latin School moved again to the newly reclaimed land in the South End.

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player